Physical Education Overview
At Trentham Academy, we aim to provide a challenging, disciplined and safe environment for high quality learning and teaching. Students experience a balance of activities which aim to promote the physical development of students through purposeful, enjoyable experiences. Our curriculum aims to develop the right attitude in all students towards taking part in sport and physical activities so that participation can be carried on successfully into adult life, both for continued enjoyment and good health.
The PE department is committed to developing a students’ physical, intellectual, social and moral development whilst promoting a healthy lifestyle in a caring and safe environment.
Sportsmanship will be at the forefront of all teaching and coaching. Students will be encouraged to value and respect one another’s ability, self-confidence and self-esteem, and promote the Academy in the community through sport.
The physical education department provide many opportunities to ensure that vast provision, promotes increased levels of participation. Students will be provided with opportunities to partake in a variety of activities throughout the year. Skills are evaluated through lessons and individuals will be supported to make progress on their own targets. Our comprehensive extra-curricular programme is inclusive of all skill levels and our sports teams strive for excellence and across multiple sports have been crowned city wide and county champions over recent years.
Students compete in many competitions throughout the school year both in curriculum time, inter-house competitions and external opportunities and they are provided with opportunities to develop themselves as a whole person. In addition, opportunities are provided for students to take part in non-competitive recreational activities.
We provide opportunities for students to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness and promotes a life-long participation in physical activities. Competition through sport and other activities build character and help to embed both our Academy and British values such as fairness, integrity, optimism and respect.
The curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all students:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities
- Lead healthy, active lives.
Students are expected to apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified in the relevant sporting activity for the following;
Invasion games, Net and Wall, Striking and Fielding, Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics and Dance.
Through KS3 and KS4, students tackle complex and demanding physical activities. They are involved in a range of activities that develops personal fitness and promotes an active, healthy lifestyle. Through all sports, students are taught to;
- Develop their technique and improve their performance in all competitive sports
- Take part in further outdoor and adventurous activities in a range of environments which present intellectual and physical challenges and which encourages them to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group.
- Evaluate their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement across a range of physical activities to achieve their personal best.
- Continue to take part regularly in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.
Our curriculum allows all students to develop into active healthy individuals with core values for lifelong participation in sport.
Where can Physical Education take me?
Physical Education Department
Mr M Rogalski – Subject Leader
Mrs K Ball
Mr D Ablewhite
Miss A Gill
Mrs V Lightfoot – Schools’ Games’ Organiser
OCR Sports Science Specification
OCR GCSE PE Practical Assessment